Monday, July 28, 2008

Tour of Belgium number two: The Patten returns!

Author: Dan Patten

Kruishoutem Kermesse - 1/7/08

Two days after the National Championships and I thought I would have had tired legs....this was not the case. The 200km at the Nationals must have brought on some form because I had really good legs, was getting in all the moves and making some moves myself. With how I felt and how I was riding I just had a feeling I was going to have a good day. I got myself in the main break of 20 or so riders and continued to be aggressive. Into what I believed was the last couple of laps I attacked out of the break with about 12km to go. I built up a significant lead and what I thought was a race winning lead going into what I believed was the last few hundred metres. However, I was then told we had one more lap to go. Not long after I was rejoined by the chasers and it was going to come down to a sprint finish within the group. The teams with a number of riders in the break played their numbers well and began to attack going into the last couple of kms. As we hit the final bend I found myself out of position to be able to go for the win but ended up placing 9th in the sprint...a good result against a quality field again including riders from teams such as WC SOENENS-GERMOND INGELMUNSTER, WIELERGROEP BEVEREN 2000 VZW, ROCK WERCHTER-CHOCOLADE JACQUES C.T, as well as the Belgian National Amateur Champion (who I beat again). My best result to date out there...but oh so close to the win.

Results:
1.) CLAUWAERT Joeri: WC SOENENS-GERMOND INGELMUNSTER
2.) DE BACKER Bert: WIELERGROEP BEVEREN 2000 VZW
3.) PLANCKAERT Baptiste: WC SOENENS-GERMOND INGELMUNSTER
4.) COOMANS Björn: ROCK WERCHTER-CHOCOLADE JACQUES
5.) DEMEULEMEESTER Wouter: WIELERCLUB MARKE VERANDA´S CLOCHET

9.) PATTEN Daniel: CICLOS UNO-PLOWMAN CRAVEN-ISAAC RT

ASSENEDE Kermesse – 3/7/08

An evening race in atrocious conditions. Heavy rain, strong crosswinds and lots of mud from the farm roads we were riding along meant it was going to be an eventful race. Also thrown into the mix were wet cobbles as we twisted and turned our way back through the start/finish town each lap. Again I felt strong but I did miss out on the front group on this occasion. Nonetheless, after a number of attacks I did get away and help to form a strong working group of five riders that included myself and fellow English rider Steve Skuse. We worked well and pulled away from the bunch and even closed in on the front group. However we were left to fight it out for 14th. Steve Skuse and myself worked together with a number of attacks between us in the closing stages. Steve, taking one other rider with him was the one to finally get away only to be beaten and had to settle for 15th where as I jumped away from the remaining riders in our chase group to take 16th. An eventful nights racing...not quite the result I was looking for but felt strong yet again and rode well to get something out of the race. Unfortunately a couple of days after this race I came down with a virus and had to miss the weekends racing that I had planned to do in Belgium....unfortunately not what I had planned!

Results:
1.) DE SCHEEMAEKER Davy: AVB - CYCLING TEAM
2.) COCQUYT Nicky: ROCK WERCHTER-CHOCOLADE JACQUES C.T.
3.) STIEGELIS SANDER: ISOREX
4.) COCQUYT Patrick: JOHN SAEY CYCLING TEAM
5.) VAN SPEYBROEK Bart: SPORTING CLUB MEERSE – KLUISBERGEN

16.) PATTEN Daniel: CICLOS UNO-PLOWMAN CRAVEN-ISAAC RT

No comments: