Monday, July 28, 2008

Fighting a virus at the London Dynamo Summer Road Race

Author: Dan Patten

Still feeling the effects of the virus I had picked up in Belgium I went to Staplefield to try and defend the race I had won last year. By now my chest was quite bad and certainly didn’t help over what is a lumpy circuit. I tried to ride in the bunch early on but, with the attacks going, I knew that I would end up missing the break by doing this. I managed to get myself into the main break of the day, which contained most of the pre-race favourites, but I still did not feel right and just made sure I did enough to stay there. We soon had pulled out a race winning gap and it was going to come down to the 9 or so riders that were in breakaway. On the final climb up to the finish Jonathan Tiernan-Locke (Mid Devon CC) went first and soon pulled away from Andrew Bye (Sigma Sport) and Chris McNamara (Wildside RT), taking the victory. I passed both McNamara and Bye to take second but ran out of road to make an impression on Jonathan Tiernan Locke whose win was well earned.

Results:
1.) Jonathan Tiernan-Locke: Mid Devon CC
2.) Daniel Patten: Ciclos Uno-Plowman Craven-Isaac RT
3.) Robert Hurd: Sigma Sport
4.) Andrew Bye: Sigma Sport
5.) Chris McNamara: Wildside RT

No comments: